A water filter does the important job of removing impurities from water and making it clean and safe for drinking and other applications.
Though modern filters are equipped with advanced technology and designed to work efficiently, it is important to treat your filtration system with good care for its longevity and smooth function.
A well-maintained water filter increases the chances of you and your family enjoying the benefits of filtered water while avoiding waterborne disease and health issues related to untreated water.
From replacing cartridges to cleaning filters and disinfecting, here are some proven tips and pointers for taking care for your water filtration system and getting the most out of it.
Maintaining Water Filter Cartridges
Using a water filter cartridge after the recommended period of time can result in inefficient performance of the filter system.
- Even if you have a low-maintenance filter system, it is necessary that you replace your cartridges timely.
- Do stock up on cartridges when buying a water filter so that you can save on your replacement costs and can make sure you have them when you need them.
When buying replacement cartridges in bulk, make sure to go through manufacturer’s instructions on how to store cartridges.
Water Filter Replacement
Over time, part of your water filter system responsible for filtering water may become saturated with contaminants and if you continue to use the same old system without changing its filters, chances are your filtered water still contains dirt and impurities that can affect your health.
- Some water filters come with different replacement needs. Pay close attention to the filter change schedule in the manufacturer’s manual of your filter system.
- When you install a water filter, make a reminder of the next time you need to replace the filters.
Some filter systems like RO units have multiple stages of purification. Know which stage each filter is in and when it is due for replacement.
Regular Cleaning Routine
Cleaning your water filter on a regular basis will ensure seamless function of the system and a constant supply of clean and healthy water for drinking and other household needs.
- Ceramic and pleated filters can be easily cleaned under running water. Filters can be used once or twice after washing.
- Handle cartridges with care as they may easily break if dropped. In case you accidently drop or chip a filter cartridge, it is recommended you don’t reuse the same and instead get a replacement.
- Do sanitise different parts of your filtration system when changing out filters.
Treat your water filter system to a professional cleaning annually to make sure everything works properly.
Maintaining your water filter regularly will help it to function effectively while increasing its service life.
Not to mention, most filters come with their manufacturer’s maintenance guide or step-by-step cleaning instructions, which you can follow to clean your filter on a regular basis. Moreover, the above mentioned tips will go a long way to help you maintain your filter for better performance and a long life.