Water is a basic means of survival.
While we adults understand the significance and benefits of drinking enough water, it can be challenging, in some cases a real struggle, to get children to drinking adequate amount of water throughout the day to keep themselves hydrated.
Therefore, we bring you simple tips to encourage your little ones to drink more water and stay hydrated and healthy.
Teach them why is water so important
- Educate them about the importance of water while explaining how water benefits our body, brain, mood, hair, skin and overall health.
- Teach your kid to recognise the need to hydrate their body. Tell them about the signs besides natural thirst drive that indicate their body needs water.
Make water visible and accessible
Kids are more likely to drink water if they see it around. Place at different spots around your home strategically to induce your child to drink.
- Always serve water with meals.
- Place a glass of water beside their bed at night.
- Offer a glass of water right after they get out of their bed.
- Keep a pitcher of water in the kitchen that kids can easily find.
- Install a portable water filter in your home that can be easily accessed by children.
Add the FUN factor
- Buy your children cool water bottles for school and have them choose their favourite. Encourage them to fill their bottle every morning and refill at school.
- When at home, use their favourite glass, or cup to serve water.
- Use curly Q straws to make drinking water more fun.
Make it a habit
- Include water as a regular drink at home.
- Avoid storing soda, fizzy drinks, flavoured juice drinks etc wherever possible.
- For kids who find water boring and tasteless, add some flavour such as lemon, fruit and mint to plain water to enhance taste and make water smell good.
If you have a child who seems to ignore water or chooses sodas, fizzy drinks and juices over water to satisfy their thirst, you need to follow these tips. While you encourage your child to drink more water, make sure you are doing it the right way.
It is important to ensure a pure, healthy and fine tasting water supply in your home so that your kids are happy to drink. There are a number of choices available in the marketplace when it comes to buying a water purifier. Consult with an expert to end up with the best water treatment solution for your needs.